Monday, February 2, 2009

Unearthed treasures


Years ago I volunteered in Turkey to help build and landscape a bus shelter on a roundabout. Loads of sand were brought in by dump trucks, and the junk in the loads fascinated me. There were ancient bits of tiles, glass gone iridescent with age, and chips of colorful marble. It happened that the volunteer organizer was an archeology student. I would bring her some little treasure for diagnosis. She would say ‘Hmm. Byzantine’ and chuck it over her shoulder.

When I am digging in Houston, I think about the Turkish archeologist when the shovel gritches against something buried. ‘Hmm. Rebar…from last year’. As my house was built in 1923, there actually are several decades of possible treasures to find. I use the term treasure very loosely here. I am easily pleased.
A buckle (with staghorn fern / Platycereum bifurcatum mugging in the background)


Aluminum fence post finials

A fossilized gas heater decoration

Pot stand from a rangetop. It can still be a pot stand, for terra cotta pots on the patio.



1 comment:

Country Mouse said...

I love finds like that - especially when you have ingenuity and taste enough to place them just so and they look great - wonderful idea to use the stove thing as a pot stand. When I place cool finds, on the other hand, they look like - junk. Oh well!